CVA Monthly Meeting
Tuesday January 29th, 5:30pm-7pm
Butzel Family Center, 7737 Kerchevel
Happy New Year, CVA! We hope you all had a wonderful holiday! We’re looking forward to seeing you at our January meeting on Tuesday the 29th at Butzel.
Since we didn’t have a general meeting last month, we wanted to follow up with y’all about our campaign to get your voices heard about Invest Detroit and Roxbury Group’s 94-unit luxury apartment building at Kercheval and Van Dyke. In November, City Council voted to rezone the property, allowing the development to move ahead.
They’re building this in our backyard and it could cause rising rents and property taxes, while at the same time benefiting from our tax dollars. Lots of folks turned out to the community engagement meetings and made trips down to City Hall in the fight for a Community Benefits Agreement.
Our accomplishments organizing around this development:
- Slowed down a rushed process so that the community could make their voices heard. Roxbury Group/Invest Detroit wanted to break ground in October 2018. Now the project is planned to begin construction in Spring 2019.
- Increased the length of time that some subsidized apartments in the development will be kept at a lower prices ($665/mo and $798/mo for a 1bd), from 10 years to 30 years.
- Capped the price of all market rate units for 10 years.
- Drafted a Community Benefits document and delivered it to Roxbury Group/Invest Detroit to begin the negotiation process.
- Got a verbal commitment from the developers for community benefits and a community advisory board.
It’s because of you that we’ve gotten this far! A lot of changes are coming and we need your help in the New Year to hold these developers accountable and make sure the community has a say!
We look forward to seeing everyone at Butzel on the 29th!